Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Strawberry, Lemon Cupcakes

Amidst all the rain, and my birthday around the corner, I sought to bring some light into the gloomy days. I decided I wanted lemon... lemon what though? I have no idea how to make a vegan meringue, so lemon meringue pie was out of the question. I do enjoy lemon bars and found a recipe from Veggie Wedgie (that I can't wait to try), but I figured if it is a birthday I'm destined to have cake. I found these Lemon Cupcakes filled with Homemade Strawberry Preserves and topped with a Lemon Butter Cream frosting. I wanted to make them a tad healthier then the average cupcake, so I swapped out the sugar in the preserves and cake for agave, and added in some whole wheat flour. The frosting however purely sugar. Has anyone created a nice frosting without any of that deliciously, hated white "stuff"? Overall these cupcakes had an incredibly bright lemon flavor. The only downside was they weren't exactly fluffy and light. They weren't dense but moist once again. I can't seem to break free from the moistness in my baked goods. Most likely its because of the liquid sweetener. So I've thought up some suggestions in the recipe on how to fix it. 
A.) Add a tad more flour
B.) A tad more baking soda
C.) Less coconut milk
I am determined to perfect this recipe and make it a solid staple under my mum's roof. Let me know if any of the suggestions make a nice light cake. Everyone enjoy the spring air! 
Strawberry filled Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Butter Cream
Adapted from: Love & Olive Oil
Makes 12
Ingredients
Cupcake
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3-1/2 cup agave
1/3 cup oil
1 cup coconut milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest

Preserves
2 1/2 cups chopped strawberries (next time I'll try rhubarb)
1/3 cup agave
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest

Butter Cream Frosting
1/2 cup earth balance
3 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest 
2 tsp-1 tablespoon soy creamer

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
Start with preserves and frosting as they both will need to chill.
Preserves: Mix cornstarch and lemon juice together to fully dissolve. Place berries in medium heavy saucepan along with agave, lemon juice mixture, and zest. Lightly mash berries and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until preserves coat the back of a spoon. They will seem a bit runny. Remove from heat, transfer to a heat-safe container, and allow to cool at room temperature for 15 minutes. Move to refrigerator and chill for 1 hour or until set.
Butter Cream Frosting: Cream butter in electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until fluffy. Slowly add confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until mixture is smooth. Add lemon juice and zest and mix until combined. Add creamer and mix at medium-high speed until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).
Cupcakes: In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together agave, oil, coconut milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until relatively smooth. Fill cupcake liners with a scant 1/4 cup of batter (should be just under 2/3 of the way full). Bake for 25 minutes or until golden, and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Assembly: Cut a cone-shaped piece out of the tops of cooled cupcakes, approximately 3/4" in diameter and set aside. Fill cavities with chilled preserves, and replace tops of cupcakes. Pipe on frosting, being sure to cover the seams.




No comments:

Post a Comment