Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Coconut Dessert Muffins

So I've been looking at a certain coconut cupcake recipe for over two weeks, and finally this evening i decided to give it a go! Sadly the recipe uses grams, and so forth. And I can tell you up front that I am terrible with that stuff... So I was left to decipher the recipe on my own. As I was making the icing, I had forgotten to let it simmer for ten minutes, and then the dough ended up being extremely thick. The look of it scared me, and made me sad at the same time. My hopes for a light and airy cupcake vanished instantly as the batter was dough on my spoon. I decided not to waste and try baking them anyways. While they were baking I took the icing out of the fridge to whip it... it didn't whip. Failure after failure it seemed. But i pressed on! 
They came out of the oven lightly dense but not doughy, mellow but not overly sweet, and covered with a deep earthy glaze. It went from a brutal start to a sweet and rewarding ending. 

Coconut CupCakes
  makes one dozen 
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup silken tofu
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk* can substitute light also, may result in a lighter texture
2 Tbsp rum or apple juice or 1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
Sift together dry ingredients.
Cream together wet ingredients.
Scoop into muffin tins and bake for about 25 minutes.
Turn out of pan and let cool completely.

Coconut Icing
 could probably half the recipe and have enough 
1/2 cup full cat coconut milk
1/2 cup agave syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 Tablespoon water
1/4 cup coconut oil

Let the milk, syrup, and salt simmer on medium heat for ten minutes.
Whisk the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl and add it to the saucepan.
Bring the mixture to a quick boil, remove from heat and whisk in the oil until fully welted. 
Let cool in the fridge until it is completely white again (two hours)
Cream with a hand-mixer and spread onto cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment