Monday, March 21, 2011

Fatty Burrito Bowls

I'd like to point out a disclaimer- I am not fond of this picture, but it is all I have to work with. I've noticed that I cook more than I post. About 80% of the time we tend to eat our grub immediately after it's finished. Plus I tend to be a much more scattered person while cooking. I have slowly begun working to prep the food in hopes of beating the 'pre-heat' timer. Then there is also the fact that I have to take everything I make to the outside world because of our ever-so-terrible lighting in the kitchen, Last week Ben and I made a vegetable lasagna with eggplant, zucchini, whole wheat pasta, and home made ricotta and tomato sauce. And once again has not appeared on this blog! Terrible isn't it? It was pretty tasty and the next time I shall make it as well as perfect it. Then you will all see! As for this dish it was good. Not the best, but good. I really enjoyed the sweet potatoes with the chili verde sauce. But honestly I really wanted it wrapped into a fatty burrito. Wouldn't you say fatty burritos make everything better! 

Fatty Burrito Bowls
Salsa Verde
1.5 pounds tomatillos
1/2 of a large yellow onion
1 jalapeno
2-3 garlic cloves
handful of cilantro
juice of one lime

Roasted Po-Tats
2 medium/large sweet potatoes peeled and diced into one inch cubes
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Juice of 2 limes (about 1 tablespoon)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp olive oil. 

The Goods
black beans
cooked brown rice/whole wheat tortilla
avocado
tomatoes
corn
fresh cilantro
spinach leaves

Directions
1.) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil
2.) Remove husks, wash, and chop tomatillos in half, also roughly chop garlic, onion, and jalapeno (I removed seeds, but it actually might give it a nice kick with them left in). 
3.) Place all ingredients on to foil and roast for 30 minutes- until tomatillos begin to golden.
4.) Let cool for 20 minutes and then add to a food processor. Pulse for a bit until smooth.
5.) Add in cilantro and lime juice. Pulse again. 

1.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2.)In a small bowl add soy sauce, lime juice, chili, oregano, and olive oil. Whisk together. 
3.) Drizzle over potatoes and toss together so that they are evenly coated.
4.) Place potatoes on to a baking sheet and bake for another 30 minutes.

1.) Cook rice according to packaged directions. 
2.) Layer spinach, rice, sweet potatoes (possibly smashed), beans, corn, avocado (smashed), tomatoes and salsa. 
3.) Enjoy! Feel free to add cheese, or sour cream as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment