Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sweet & Tart Strawberry Rhubarb Cake


        Oh my, things have been outrageously busy around this place. I just finished my summer Chemistry course, we moved into our new house last week and am working six days this week. I believe I am officially calling it quits! I'm exhausted! Hopefully next week Ben and I can take a road-trip up to Oregon and visit my sister and her family. And on the way stop in Ashland, our favorite little town in all of the states. As for our new house, it is small, but quaint & quirky, but cute. It's perfect for us. So far we have hardwood floors in our boxed out kitchen and a sink in place.As we get settled in I'll show pictures of our updated home. As of for now, let's chat about Rhubarb...

Strawberry Rhubarb Cake
Inspired by My New Roots

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups whole spelt flour (or other whole grain flour)
½ cup + 3 Tbsp. rolled oats 
½ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
zest of one lemon
1 cup rhubarb, chopped
½ cup nut milk (or other milk to suit you)
1 cup strawberry applesauce

 (lightly pureed fresh strawberries + a touch of agave)
3 Tbsp. coconut oil or canola (melted)
1/3 cup agave or maple syrup
1 Tbsp. flax seeds + 3 Tbsp. warm water 

(set aside to create a flax egg)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a cake pan with parchment paper.
2. Whisk milk, strawberry applesauce, oil, agave and flax seeds in a bowl and set aside. 
3. Combine all other dry ingredients (you may add rolled oats now or use in step number 5), except for strawberries, and add to wet mix. 
4. Fold in rhubarb in as few strokes as possible.
5. Pour the batter into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with 3 Tbsp. rolled oats. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 
6. Let cake cool completely before removing it from the pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment